Wow, just wow! If you missed the Microsoft Connect 2016 Day 1 keynote you missed a lot! In total, there were two and a half hours of announcements, demos and news from Microsoft. They covered Azure, Visual Studio, Xamarin mobile development, .NET, SQL and much more. I”ve tried to distill the biggest announcements and statements from the keynote with the following list, most of which also provide a link to further information.
- “Azure has more datacenters then AWS & Google Combined”
- Azure App Service support Containers on Linux and Windows
- Visual Studio 2017 RC release
- Visual Studio on Mac
- VS Debugging across code in Docker containers
- Microsoft joins the Linux Foundation Platinum member
- “Linux Foundation loves Microsoft!”
- Google joins .NET Core Foundation and technical steering group
- .NET is going to be supported everwhere, today Tizen announces support
- .NET Core 1.1 Released
- Alpha of new and improved MSBuild project files for .NET Core
- ASP.NET Core 1.1 is now one of the 10 fastest webservers available
- SQL Server on Linux is ready for testing
- Run SQL server in a container (FAST) on Windows or a Mac
The event was streamed live and the recording is available here. I highly suggest watching the recording if you missed it.
It seems like every Microsoft conference has bigger announcements, a bigger comitment to open source and are working with more companies/organizations which they previously consider competitors. AND they aren’t done at Connect 2016 yet. There are two more days of live streaming to watch at
Its never been more exciting to be a .NET developer and I can’t wait to see how Microsoft will surprise us next. Long live .NET!